The Linnaean Society of New York (LSNY), with members mostly in the New York City area, is devoted to all aspects of natural history. We are strongly bird oriented, providing birding field trips to various destinations in the greater New York City area, conducting occasional weekend or out-of-state birding tours, co-sponsoring the NYC Rare Bird Alert, and offering a variety of birding resources on our website, including an exclusive birdwatching guide to lesser known Manhattan hotspots. We also take a leadership role in addressing local conservation issues of concern to birders and natural history enthusiasts. In practice we are a New York City bird club with a broader purview on nature and conservation.
The Society presents programs on natural history topics at the American Museum of Natural History monthly from September through May, except March. Our meetings are open and free to the public. The programs feature richly illustrated talks in layman's language, by leading naturalists and scientists.
Our field trips, led by expert members, focus on birds and also on plants, bats, and butterflies. More than fifty trips are offered each year, ranging from bird walks in Central Park, Jamaica Bay, and other New York City parks to excursions by carpool to diverse seasonal hotspots in the tri-state area. Field trips are open to non-members if space permits.
Our organization’s aspirations are reflected in our highest award, the Eisenmann Medal. Established in 1982, it honors “excellence in ornithology and encouragement of the amateur,” accomplishments the Society’s founders would have endorsed.
Changes to Field Trip Dates
- The Saturday August 27, 2016 Central Park Horticultural Walk by Regina Alvarez is CANCELED
- Eastern Long Island Summer Specialties & Ocean Watch trip is now SUNDAY, AUGUST 28
- NEW: “Tiny Island…” about Helen Hays and GGI in NYT 8/21/2001 — 7/29/2016
- North Woods Update: Loch Closures April 2016 — October, 2016 — 7/16/2016
- Inside the Avian Clinic That Brings Birds Back From the Brink, New York magazine.
A nice shout out to the Wild Bird Fund — 6/3/2016
- 10 Peregrine Falcons Are Banded... (MTA article)
Barbara Saunders (Vice Pres. LSNY) is part of this long term project — 6/2/2016
- Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge Update — 5/13/2016
- Gateway announces FONSI — 2/8/2016
- Coalition Response to West Pond Environmental Assessment — 11/7/15
- Helen Hays Receives Environmental Champion Award — 5/13/2016
- The Trans-Atlantic Terns of Great Gull Island (article) — 5/11/2016
- eBird rarities in the NY area on AccuBirder viewable on this site — 5/29/2016
- Clinton Community Garden — 11/29/2015
- Mysteries of Micro-Parks — 2015
- Doodletown Trip with Paul Keim reported by Richard ZainEldeen — 5/22/2016
- Swainson’s Warbler by Barbara Saunders — 4/28/2016
- New Mexico trip with Rick Wright reported by Louise Fraza — 3/12/2016 to 3/15/2016