The Linnaean Society of New York (LSNY), with members mostly in the New York City area, is devoted to all aspects of natural history. We are strongly bird oriented, providing birding field trips to various destinations in the greater New York City area, conducting occasional weekend or out of state birding tours, co-sponsoring the NYC Rare Bird Alert, and offering a variety of birding resources on our website, including an exclusive birdwatching guide to lesser known Manhattan hotspots. We also take a leadership role in addressing local conservation issues of concern to birders and natural history enthusiasts. In practice we are a New York City bird club with a broader purview on nature and conservation.
The Society presents programs on natural history topics at the American Museum of Natural History monthly from September through May, except March. Our meetings are free to the public. The programs feature richly illustrated talks in layman's language, by leading naturalists and scientists.
Our field trips, led by expert members, focus on birds and also on plants, bats, and butterflies. More than fifty trips are offered each year, ranging from bird walks in Central Park, Jamaica Bay, and other New York City parks to excursions by carpool to diverse seasonal hotspots in the tri-state area. Field trips are open to non-members if space permits.
Our organization’s aspirations are reflected in our highest award, the Eisenmann Medal. Established in 1982, it honors “excellence in ornithology and encouragement of the amateur,” accomplishments the Society’s founders would have endorsed.
- New location for the April 14 and May 12, 2015 programs is the People Center, AMNH
- Jamaica Bay Task Force Meeting — March 19
- Jamaica Bay ⁄ West Pond Update — January 23
- LSNY Conservation Crisis of 1955 — January 13
- Proposed Casino in Sterling Forest Rejected — December 17
- Fracking Banned in New York State — December 17
- News: LSNY Homecoming Party video and presentation
- Nature's Cheats - New Topic — April 14
- Mysteries of Micro-Parks — added February 9
- LSNY Program calendar — Google and iCal format
- “Save the West Pond” Petition Submitted — July 25
- West Pond, Gateway NRA, Public meeting report — July 17
- D-Bird: NYC Bird Mortality Database — by NYC Audubon
- Field Observations — Please visit and send in contributions
We invite members and guests to follow us on twitter.com/LinnaeanNY @LinnaeanNY created March 2015.
Used for sharing birding information, updates and news.